Saturday, July 16, 2011

Coconut Water Sorbet You MUST TRY!

With the hot weather temps and high humidity that I experience in Illinois it decreases my appetitie for high calorie foods, and sometimes just even eating seems like a major chore.When it comes to desert I typically just eat some fruit, I have never been a big sweets person, my weakness has always been for foods with salts (pretzels, potato crisps, popcorn, nuts, etc)

With the roller coaster of being diagnosed with Insulin Resistance in 2009 and spending 10 months on Metformin a Type II Diabetes Drug and following a Low Glycemic Diet it really changed my entire approach to everything I eat, how much I eat, when I eat, what I eat, when I exercise, etc. Of course this changed when I gained back all the weight I lost in 2009 after a 6 month exercise layoff mandated by my doctors. This required me to re-lose the weight again in 2010. Fast forward to 2011 and I have not gained the weight back and have managed to lose some more. Before I would try to not buy any item if there was more then 10 grams of sugar per serving in anything. Now I allow myself to buy something a few times a year with a little more and just eat much less then the serving size. Of course if a product has more sugar, I would not buy it if there was too much fat, calories and sodium as well. I have avoided having sorbet for years because they are all usually loaded with 23-35 grams of sugar per serving or more.

I received a coupon from So Delicious for the So Delicious Coconut Water Sorbet which is available in Mango and Raspberry Flavors. I have been carrying around this coupon for a while and hoping to find a store that carries the product. Today was my lucky day, I found the Sorbet at The Fresh Market in Geneva, IL in both the Mango & Raspberry Flavors. The Raspberry has 24 grams of sugar for a 1/2 cup serving with 110 calories, along with 150 grams of sodium, 170 grams of potassium, 2 grams of fiber and 27 carbs. The net result is by eating only 1/4 cup of the sorbet the numbers are not as bad and can be included as a part of my overall days calories for a treat that can last me for 8 servings instead of 4. I figure if I am going to have a 1/4 cup of something with 12 grams of sugar it better be amazing! This product did not disappoint. To be fair if I did not have the coupon I would never have bought the product as it is too expensive for my fixed budget. That being said  I might have to just have a taste with a spoon to make this last as long  as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment