Friday, July 1, 2011

Change to The Standard Cucumber, Tomato, Onion Salad

Many years ago I remember my Mom making the simple summer salad of cucumber, onion, and tomatoes in a large bowl with tons of vinegar and then sugar to balance out the vinegar tartness and acidity. I think my Mom must have used either White Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar? She would put the whole large bowl in the refrigerator overnight to chill and then serve it the next day when we had a cookout or with some of her homemade egg salad and other homemade salads. On occasion we would have these salads store bought and they never tasted as good. Of course, I still make cucumber, tomato, & onion salad but now it is with different vinegar's that were not available to my Mom back then, another change is that I do not use plain white sugar in this salad,  there is not any in my house to use on anything. I only use Splenda, Agave Nectar, Lo Han Fruit Concentrate or Brown Rice Syrup when I sweeten anything.

1 Large Bowl
3 Cucumbers, Washed, Peeled, & Cubed. You Can Also Use Seedless Cucumbers
1 Red Onion Diced
1 Orange Bell Pepper Washed & Cubed ( Any Color But Green, Black or White)
8-10 Grape or Cherry Tomatoes Sliced
1 TBSP Lighthouse Salad Seasoning
1/4 - 1/2 Cup Rice Vinegar
1/4- 1/2 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
1 Cup Light Red Kidney, Pinto or Cannellini Beans (Optional)

Add All Vegetables To Bowl
Add Vinegar's
Add Seasoning
Mix and Chill Overnight


No comments:

Post a Comment