Thursday, October 4, 2012

Salmon Sardine Tuna Tofu Saute

Despite my losing over 40lbs, taking a Statin since 2003, taking Salmon Oil Supplements, increasing my Vitamin D with Supplements, increasing my Omega 3 with Flaxseed and eating more fish,  my lipid & triglyceride levels have not been were they should be. My Chiropractic Neurologist recommended last year for me to start taking Plant Sterol Supplements 1-2x a day. I started 1x a day and my numbers did not improve enough so I upped my dose to 2x a day. He previously recommended for me to take Chromium Picolinate which I did from Sept. 2009-Jan. 2011, I did not notice it was doing much for me, so I stopped taking it, although I do not recall what I was taking the chromium for back then? Recently he recommended that I start taking it again and I did, my Sept 22 blood tests for my Lipids & Triglycerides were very good so I need to continue with all these supplements and eating even more fish high in Omega 3's. I did not associate my increase in triglyceride levels to my being off Chromium for a year and a half. A very quick way to get Omega 3's is with Wild caught canned tuna, salmon, & sardines. It is very easy to just open a can or a pouch and eat any of these fish plain as is, in a salad, saute, soup, egg meal, in a wrap, etc. The best part is that these go on sale very often and there are great coupons which allows me to have quality fish that is within my limited budget.

I have often heard that Spring Onions, Green Onions,& Scallions were the same thing. In attending a presentation by a World Famous Chicago Chef Charlie Trotter, I quickly learned they are not. Here are the differences!


So what do you call young onions? Spring onions, green onions, or scallions? Here we go!
Depending upon the maturity of the onion and where you live, you will pick up a bunch of young onions and say, “I’ll take these….”
Are they spring onions, green onions, or scallions?
Here are the differences:
Scallions. Scallions are the youngest or least mature of onions with very thin white bases no wider than their long, straight green stalks. Scallions offer no hint at the development of a bulb-like base. Pulled from the ground a scallion resembles a large chive. Scallions are very mild flavored. Both the white base and the green stalk of the scallion are easily eaten raw. You can slice or chop scallions and add them raw to green salads. You can also serve them on the raw vegetable tray or sprinkle them raw as a topping for sauces.
Scallions can be cooked whole or chopped, but they will require no more than a couple of minutes of cooking. (Sauté or pan steam them on low heat in butter or water.) Scallions can be used as a substitute for chives in many recipes. Scallions are sometimes called green onions or bunching onions, but for onion lovers and growers there is a difference. A green onion or bunching onion has gained the hint of a bulb with maturity; a scallion has not.
Green onions. Green onions have long, green, delicate stalks and small, very, very slender, white bulbs. The bulb of a green onion is slightly defined. Green onions come out of the ground early in their lives, usually in spring. They are mild tasting having not been alive long enough to gain much pungency. Green onions can be used sliced or chopped raw in greensalads or creamy salads like potato salad, pasta salads, or atop baked potatoes.
Green onions are sometimes called bunching onions. When onion seeds are planted densely they grow so close or bunched together that the bulbs have little chance of fully maturing and rounding out. Green onions are green onions in the United States; in England and Australia the green onion is also called a spring onion. Green onions are sometimes also called scallions. (But, now, you know there is a difference even if ever so slight.)
Spring onions. Spring onions have slightly rounded bulbs that are more defined and just a bit larger than the more slender green onions. Spring onions are the most pungent tasting of young onions with a bit more bite than green onions. Remember, most onions gain their sharp taste as they mature. Spring onions can be used raw or cooked. Because raw spring onions are pungent, taste to make sure their flavor does not overpower more delicate flavors. You can slice raw spring onions thinly onto green salads.
Cooked spring onions—usually sautéed—will be more delicately flavored as a result of the cooking process and are a good combination with other spring and summer vegetables. The spring onion is distinctly different than a green onion to many growers and onion lovers in the United States. In England and Australia, a spring onion and a green onion are most often considered the same bird.



One 12 Inch Skillet
1 TBSP Canola Oil
1 Diced Red Bell Pepper
4 Green Onions Diced (These are not the same as a Scallion or a Spring Onion)
1 TBSP Minced Garlic
1 Can of Wild Caught Boneless & Skinless Sardines in Water
2.5 Ounces Wild Caught Salmon from a Pouch or Can
2.5 Ounces Wild Caught Canned Light Tuna in Water
1 Box Frozen Chopped Spinach Steamed, Drained, & Patted Dry
One Container Nasoya Organic Cube super Firm Tofu Rinsed, Drained, or Other Brand
http://www.nasoya.com/products/tofu/cubed.html
1-2 TBSP Capers
1/4 TSP Ground Black Pepper
1/8 TSP Sea Salt
A Few Splashes of Tabasco Chitpotle Sauce (Optional)
Juice of 1/2 of One Fresh Lemon When All Done

Heat Oil on Medium High in Skillet
Add in Peppers, Garlic, Green Onions
Cook Until Soft
Add in Everything Else and Cook for 3-5 Minutes to Blend Flavors
Squeeze Fresh Lemon Over Everything When Your Ready to Serve



No comments:

Post a Comment