Thursday, October 4, 2012

Salmon Cabbage Fajitas

With my finances being very tight and my sometimes having to use a SNAP Card to get food or go to a Food Pantry, or Church to get food, it forces me to be really creative in order to still be able to eat & cook healthy food. The other thing that makes getting food from a Food Pantry or Church a Real Challenge is that they are stocked with Boxes, Packages, & Cans of Super Unhealthy Foods where 98% of the items contain Dairy, Gluten, MSG, Sodium Benzoate, Nitrates, Nitrites  all of which I am allergic to, along with ingredients I have no idea what it is. In September I went to one Food Pantry in my City for the 1st time which was better then most of the others I had been to back in 2011, this one is called a Consumers Choice Food Pantry in that you get a shopping cart with a box and get to pick out what you want, instead of getting stuck with some bags of stuff that you can't eat and then have to give away to someone else.

In September when I went to this one for my 1st time, I was very happy & surprised that I was able to get packages of Broccoli Cole Slaw, Packages of Alaskan Wild Caught Smoked Salmon, California Canned Diced Tomatoes, Capers, Shitake Mushrooms, Grass Fed Beef, Gluten Free Crackers, Organic Gluten Free Oats, Frozen Wild Caught Salmon, 9 Cans of Organic Pumpkin. I was able to make some super healthy meals for the last few weeks with the items from this Food Pantry Visit and the Items I had Stockpiled during June & August with my SNAP Card, gift cards, & massive coupons. The reason I am not on SNAP anymore is that Governor Quinn has changed the regulations for the State of Illinois. The State now requires a single person to participate in a program called Earnfaire which means you have to work for free the requisite amount of hours at minimum wage to pay back the State for giving you your SNAP Benefits, this practice is not required for Single Mothers, or any Families. So the bottom line is that a single person would have to work for 24.75 hours for free in order to receive any SNAP food benefits while those not single do not have to work at all, I find this practice discriminatory to a single person. If I was able to work I would not be applying for SNAP Benefits at all, or fighting for the last 5 years to receive Social Security Disability Benefits. My final hearing is next week October 10, 2012, I am praying that the 4th time is the charm!

One 12 Inch Skillet
One TBSP Canola Oil
One Package of Shredded Broccoli Cole Slaw ( Used this instead of Peppers)
One TSP Minced Garlic
4 Ounces Alaskan Wild Caught Smoked Salmon Sliced Into Cubes
One 14.5 Ounce Can of Diced Tomatoes
One-Two TSP Capers
One TBSP Cumin
One TBSP Ground Corriander
1/4 TSP Ground Black Pepper
One TSP Onion Powder

Heat Oil on Medium High Heat
Add in Everything & Saute Till Vegetables Are Soft









No comments:

Post a Comment