Saturday, October 13, 2012

Baked Ginger Cinnamon Acorn Squash

This month on October 1, 2012 when I went for my 1 time a month trip for me to the food pantry a local farmer had just delivered a pallet of farm fresh sweet potatoes and some boxes of acorn squash. This is a consumer's choice food pantry where you get a shopping cart and get to pick out what you want based on your family size, which for me is just 1. I am now going to have to start going to a few other pantries 1 time a month and get some other  items, then buy what I can with gift cards from transferring my $$$ Medicines from one Pharmacy to another. Then every few weeks I can get some fresh vegetables/fruits because that is what is in the budget when your reliant on someone else paying for your food costs. I had my SSDI hearing this past week and now I have to wait for the Judges decision, I sure hope that she agrees with my doctors after 5 years that I am disabled. I have never made acorn squash before because it is so expensive in Illinois, not sold very often in stores here, and I was always afraid I would not like the taste. After making this 1 time I can now say I really like the way I made this, although I do not know if I would like this in a restaurant?
I only took 2 of them even though there was no limit on how many I was allowed to take and I took 12 of the sweet potatoes. Now I wish I would have taken a lot more of them because they last for weeks just sitting in your storage bin,

I scrubbed/rinsed all the dirt from my two acorn squash and then I cleaned and rinsed them with my produce wash spray. I used the largest knife I had to slice each of them on a cutting board and it was not easy to cut them. Once they were finally cut I used a serrated spoon to clean all the seeds and membrane out of them. I am allergic to Dairy so I always use Vegan Butter but you can use regular and I do not use Brown Sugar, Maple Syrup, or Honey due to allergies as well,  but you can use one of these if you prefer to instead of the Ginger Syrup.

One 3 Quart Oblong Casserole Dish or other 3 Quart Size
Corningware French White 3-Qt. Oblong Casserole Dish (Google Affiliate Ad)
1/4-1/2 Cup Water for Water Bath in Casserole Dish
Two Acorn Squash that have been Cleaned/Disinfected, Seeded, & Cut in Half
1/8 to 1/4 TSP Ginger People;s Organic Syrup Put Into Each Acorn Squash
1 TSP Vegan Butter Put Into Each Acorn Squash
Cinnamon For Sprinkling on Top

Preheat Oven to 400
Pour Water Into Casserole Dish
Place Acorn Squash Into Water in Casserole Dish
1/8 to 1/4 TSP Ginger People Organic Ginger Syrup Put Into Each Acorn Squash
http://www.gingerpeople.com/gluten-free-products/ginger-delight.html
1 TSP Vegan Butter Put Into Each Acorn Squash

Cinnamon For Sprinkling on Top of each Acorn Squash
Bake for 1 Hour to And Hour 15 Minutes
Scoop and Enjoy

Ready to Bake














Ready to Serve












Close Up Ready To Eat

No comments:

Post a Comment