Saturday, October 30, 2010

Comfort Foods Can Be Healthy

Now that the cooler weather has started to settle in consistently in the Fox Valley Area of Illinois where I live, I am now craving some good "ole" comfort food. Of course, being the health maven that I am, comfort food to me has always been much different from what others tend to crave in the cooler fall and winter months in the Midwest.

Most people tend to crave comfort foods with lots of calories, carbohydrates, and fat. Mashed potatoes, meatloaf, apple & pumpkin pie, chicken soup, green bean & tuna noodle casserole, macaroni and cheese, and many more. Comfort foods have a way of bringing us back to our childhoods and foods that our Mom's, Grandmom's, Aunt's or other relatives would make for holiday's, when we were sick or just for simple everyday meals.

Being a former software tester, technical writer, trainer and teacher I must confess, that I always look at reasons for all things why, from an analytical view point. A part of me wonders, if perhaps, it is something in a person's genes from when our bodies were programmed to store fat in the winter when our ancestor's lived in a hunting & gathering world. Many of us today still do this, even though most of no longer live in a rural hunting & gathering world.

My goal for my Fall and Winter Recipes is to help you break out of that learned habit and to provide you with  healthier recipes that will become your go to comfort foods that can become your children and grandkid's comfort foods.

If you have been following my Blog since July, when I started on here and moved my recipes over from a prior blog that I wrote on for the previous 4 years you have already noticed that my recipes are healthier.
See my previous posts for pumpkin and apple pie recipes as well as various soups and muffins for your new comfort foods. There is now a search feature in my Blog which will make it much easier for you to find other recipes & posts on my thoughts on health, products I use, products I like, food reviews, etc.

When I was writing my prior Blog I was working full-time and part-time and going to school, so I never posted PIC's of my recipes. I still have lots of recipes that I will be posting, although I do not have PIC's of all these. Trust me, you will do fine making these recipes without the PIC's. To be honest some people prefer following recipes without PIC's so they are not disappointed if there recipe "NEVER" looks like it did in a Cookbook or on a Professional Website  (i.e. Food Network, AllRecipes, Martha Stewart, etc.)

All new recipes & pics of comfort foods coming this weekend.

Remember Cooking Should Never Be a Chore, It Should ALWAYS BE FUN!

Happy Cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment