Thursday, September 13, 2012

Gluten & Dairy Free Raspberry Muffins

Baking items Gluten Free is much easier if you use milk and eggs and have unlimited money to purchase Gluten Free Flours, and Orgran No Egg Egg Replacer or Ener-G Egg Replacer, but when you can't use the traditional items and live on a very tight budget it is not so easy. In the last 10 years I have read numerous books, blogs & websites devoted to Gluten-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free, Soy-Free and much more. I have experimented over the years with using Brown Rice Flour, Sweet Rice Flour, All Purpose Gluten Free Flour, Almond Meal as well as Coconut Flour. I have used Soy Milk, Coconut Milk, Rice Milk, Almond Milk, Oat Milk, Smart Balance Extra Protein Fat Free Skim Milk and some efforts have been good, others not so much, some are better then good, but that is always subjective to the person eating the final products. I have found that Coconut Flour is not the easiest to work with because you can only use this for 1/4 of regular flour and then need to make lots of tweaks for a moist baked good with other Gluten Free Flours, and more liquid. For this recipes I needed to keep adding more liquids in the form of Soy Milk and Egg Whites and I wound making 24 Mini Muffins and then 9-10 Regular sized muffins. One thing to keep in mind is that you need to continually check your muffins because Coconut Flours bake much differently. The top and middle takes longer to bake with Coconut Flour and your bottoms may get a little more done at times. I only have Silicon Liners for my 12 Count regular muffin pan so I sprayed my 24 Count mini muffin pan. Coconut Flour Has Higher Fiber so it is very dense and you might want to use a mixer unless you have lots of hand-strength which I found out the hard way I no longer do.

Mixing Bowl
1 24 Count Mini-Muffin Pan
1 12 Count Regular Size Muffin Pan
Silicon Muffin Liners
Cooking Spray

1 1/2 Cup Coconut Flour
1/4 Cup Rice Flour
2 TSP ground Cinnamon
1 TSP Baking Powder
1/2 TSP Sea Salt
1/2 TSP Xanthan Gum
1 TBSP Vanilla Extract or Pure Vanilla
9 Egg Whites
3/4 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
1 Cup Frozen Raspberries
1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Add Milk As Needed To Thin Batter. I used Unsweetened Soy Milk

Line 12 Count Muffin Pan
Spray Mini Muffin Pan
Preheat Oven to 400 Degrees

Add All Dry Items to Bowl
Add All Wet & Mix
I use a Small Gravy Spoon to Add Batter to my Muffin Pans
Bake Mini Muffins till Done 15-25 Minutes
Bake Regular Muffins Till Done 20-40 Minutes


Regular Size













Mini Ones







No comments:

Post a Comment