Friday, August 31, 2012

Baked Mango Cajun Swai

Being on a seriously tight budget for the last 5 years requires me to hunt for the best deals I can find at the supermarket in order for be to still be able to buy any type of fish and not revert back to being a Vegan as I was for 14 years before developing cancer in 1995. Five years ago when I was still working full-time, I would have bought mostly fresh fish from the fish department in my local grocery store or gone to a Fishmonger. Now that is no longer an option due to the high cost of fish. These days I can't afford to be a Food Purist and only buy Wild Caught Fresh Salmon.

When I was growing up I recall only seeing tuna and sometimes Salmon  in cans and not much else. Today with the ever expanding Global Markets local stores now sell tuna, salmon, sardines, oysters, clams, eel & and even scallops in a can as well as Wild Caught Salmon and Dolphin Safe Tuna in pouches. When it is on sale or on clearance I am now buying Wild Caught Salmon in Pouches & Dolphin Safe Tuna so I can still get the great Omega 3 benefits. In addition I am now buying frozen fish which is something I never did before. This has allowed me to expand the types of fish I am now consuming while trying to avoid fish that are high in Mercury. There has been a lot of controversy regarding Swai in the Market Place. All the reports I have read show American Fish Producers don't want this Fish to be sold here in the U.S. because they are losing money to Foreign Countries and feel that Americans should only buy fish produced in America, this to me is discriminatory and is a restraint of trade to the other Country Exports.  My local Super Target has been selling Frozen Swai for $3.99 for a 12 Ounce package, $$5.99 for Tilapia, and Wild Caught Salmon for $9.99. This is a HUGE difference in prices for Fish. Swai has a taste that is almost identical to Tilapia which has been over-fished, it is a mild tasting white fish which for many non-fish lovers is preferable so they don't taste something FISHY.

1 Deep High Heat Non Aluminium Oven Safe Baking Dish
Non Stick Cooking Spray
Canola Oil
1 12 Ounce Package of Thawed Swai
1 TBSP of Capers
1 TBSP Minced Garlic
1 TBSP Morton & Bassett Cajun Spice Blend or other Salt Free Cajun Blend
http://www.mortonbassett.com/Cajun-Spice-Blend/p/44163&c=MortonBassett@SpicesAC
1 TBSP FRANK’S® REDHOT® SWEET CHILI SAUCE
2-3 Mangos Blended To Cover Bottom of Pan or Canned Mango Nectar

Pre-Heat Oven to 400 Degrees
Spray Pan Bottom & Sides With Cooking Spray
Arrange Thawed Filets In One Layer
Brush With Oil
Sprinkle Cajun Seasoning On Fish
Sprinkle Garlic On Fish
Add In Mango Juice, Capers & Frank's Sauce

Bake 12-14 Minutes Or Until Fish Flakes Easily








No comments:

Post a Comment