Sunday, August 7, 2011

Decaf Vanilla Soy Chai Latte At Home

Last Winter in 2010 I thought I had found My Quickest & Most Inexpensive Way To Make a Soy Chai Latte At Home.
See My Earlier Post http://mycontinuingthoughts.blogspot.com/2010/11/fast-soy-chai-latte-at-home.html

Fast Forward To The Late Summer of 2011 And I Have Changed My Mind, While Buying The Concentrate Already Prepared Is Quick, I No longer consider this to be the most economical way to enjoy one of my favorite beverages at home. The first drawback is that the price of the concentrate has increased quite a bit,  the second is that with the concentrate the amount of caffeine is just way too strong for me. Since my TSH level has become so hyper I can't have any caffeine or chocolate at all. The third drawback to the concentrate is that it does not maintain the quality of the product. As a single person on a very strict fixed budget I can't consume a whole quart of chai latte before the product degrades to justify the expense.

My change is now to buy the Decaf Tea Bags in a Box and make one cup or two at a time and then steam my Soy Milk in My Frother. So far I have only found 3 brands of Decaf Chai. Celestial Seasonings which makes multiple varieties that include Decaf Sweet Coconut Chai, Mountain Chai Decaf, & Chai Original India Spice Decaf. I did not like any of there flavors due to bitterness. Bigelow has a Decaf Spiced Chai which is too strong and has a sharp residue. The 3rd brand I found which makes Decaf Chai is Tazo and this I love plain or with Vanilla Soymilk or Unsweetened Soy Milk And Splenda.

Boil Water For 2 Bags of Tea
Add 2 Decaf Chai Tea Bags To Your Large Glass
Let Steep for 5-7 Minutes
Remove Tea Bags And Splenda or Sweetener of Your Choice

Using a Keurig Frother or Hand Frother Make Cappuccino Foam With Vanilla or Unsweetened Soymilk
Add Foam To Your Tea
Sprinkle Ground Cinnamon Over Foam
Grate Fresh Nutmeg Over Cinnamon
Relax With a Wonderful Glass of Decaf Vanilla Soy Chai Tea Latte At Home
Add Ice if You Want It Cold Or Drink Some & Then Put In The Refrigerator For Later
I Like to Have This & Then Meditate or After Yoga or at night as a desert


Tazo has added the ingredients of Roobios, ginger, black pepper, & chicory that are not found in other brands I have tried. They have also admitted allspice which to me is a good thing.  This makes for the best taste as is or with my Soy Milk.

Traditional Indian Chai Tea from scratch is made with 6 cups of whole milk, star anise, whole cloves, 2-3 cinnamon sticks, 7 white peppercorns, 2 TBSP of Ceylon black Tea which not decaf,  a cardamom pod and tons of sugar. That is a lot of chai for one person and a lot of work to cook items in 3 separate pots,









Ground Cinnamon & Fresh Grated Nutmeg on Top



















1 comment: