Monday, May 9, 2011

Rachel's Vanilla Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats in Crockpot All Day or Overnight

I only have one size Crockpot which requires me to have it half full to cook items for a long period of time.
If you have a small Crockpot then use half the oats, milk, & water for this recipe. Steel Cut Oats have a completely different texture then regular rolled oats. Some folks like their oats very chewy and plain, while others like their oats more creamy with the consistency of a porridge. You might have to play around with the cooking time based on the individual brand of Crockpot that you have, some run really hot when cooking on low and some do not seem to get hot enough on high.

  1. 4 Cups Water
  2. 4 Cups Soymilk or Rice Milk
  3. 1/4 - 1/2 Cup Splenda (Depends on Your Preferred Level of Sweetness)
  4. 1/8 TSP Sea Salt
  5. 1 TBSP Vanilla Extract
  6. 1 TBSP Ground Cinnamon
  7. 1 TBSP Smart Balance Heart Healthy Butter Blend
  8. 2 Cups Irish Steel Cut Oats

Fat Free Cooking Spray
1 Programmable Crock Pot

Spray Crockpot bottom and sides with cooking spray as some crockpots tend to run hotter and you can have sticking of the oats on the sides or bottom. I have found spraying makes my Crockpot much easier to clean out.

Add items in the order listed above and mix.
For my Crockpot it takes exactly 7.5 Hours on High to cook the perfect consistency for me. This makes over a week's worth  of Steel Cut Oats if you only have 1/4 cup a time which is the recommended serving size on McCann's Irish Steel Cut Oats Can. I put my Oats in the refrigerator after cooling for an hour and then microwave everyday for my breakfast. I add in some fruit and Ground Flax Seed after my oats have been warmed up.

I like my Oat texture more on the chewier side them creamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment