Saturday, July 21, 2012

Sweet & Spicy Baked Bean Vegetable & Fruit Soup

This heat wave, high humidity and drought in Illinois has really been a nightmare. I can't remember ever feeling on a regular basis during the summer that I can't wait for the cold, snow & ice of winter to come back really soon. This is really out of character for me because I really dislike winter and always pine for a warm summer all winter long. I now think, that I should not think this way anymore during the winter, more like an oxymoron, "be careful what you wish for", you may get a wish you do not want or like to come true.

Typically during the hot & humid summers my go to foods have always been salads, smoothies, protein shakes, stir-frys, a wrap of protein with a corn tortilla, fruits, steamed veggies and some fish. Lately I have found some of that to be just to tasking and have now resorted to making soups in my Vitamix or Soups in my Dutch Oven, anything not to turn on my Oven to actually cook something.

1 5 Quart Dutch Oven
2 Cups Very Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1 14.5 Ounce Can No Salt Added Pinto Beans or Soak & Cook Your Own
1 14.5 Ounce Can No Salt Added Cannellini Beans or Soak & Cook Your Own
1 14.5 Ounce Can No Salt Added Petite Diced Tomatoes or Dice Your Own Fresh
1 15 Ounce Jar Mezzetta Roasted Red Peppers or Roast Your Own Fresh
http://www.mezzetta.com/our-products/detail/roasted-red-bell-peppers
1 TBSP Minced Garlic
2 TBSP Frank's Red Hot Sweet Chili Sauce ( More if you want it spicier)
http://www.franksredhot.com/products/sweet-chili-sauce/nutrition/info

Add Broth to Dutch Oven
Add Beans, Tomatoes, Peppers, Garlic, Sauce
Cover and Cook on Low for 20-30 Minutes





No comments:

Post a Comment